It is hard to believe that half of this school year is behind us! I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas break and excited about this new year! Because it is now the second semester, we will hit our reading skills pretty hard and heavy. Please encourage your child to do his/her independent reading at home at least four days a week for at least 20 minutes each time. We are continuing with reading incentives; Book It (Pizza Hut), Menchie’s (yogurt), and Read to Succeed (Six Flags).
Here are some important upcoming benchmark testing dates:
- math = Tuesday, Jan. 9th
- reading = Thursday, Jan. 11th
- science = Thursday, Jan. 18th
We will treat these benchmark tests like practice STAAR tests. These benchmarks help the students to build endurance, have an idea of what the real STAAR tests will be like, and identify strengths and weaknesses to guide classroom instruction. Please make sure your child gets a good night’s sleep, eats a healthy breakfast, and gets to school on time for benchmark days.
Here are a few things your child can do to help them be more prepared for the reading benchmark and reading STAAR test:
- participate in his/her independent reading at home, while completing book challenges (passed out with students last semester – extra copies in the choice box in my classroom)
- have valuable conversations with older people to help develop their vocabulary
- study his/her STAAR Terminology Sheet (in a previous blog post and passed out to students last semester)
- practice activities & play games on the 5th grade Symbaloo Webmix Reading Skills Review page (they can access through their Google account on any computer)
- practice Quizlet poetry terminology and text features (they can access through their Google account on any computer)
Thank you so much for your continued support in your child’s education!
2018 is going to be a great year!